My mother-in-law Linda gave me this recipe years ago and this is one of those that I have altered many ingredients but the cake still come out really good. I usually freeze bananas that are going to ripen soon and put 4 bananas per zip lock bag. On baking day, I take out a bag of bananas and leave it on the counter for a couple of hour to thaw and then dump the entire content of the zip lock bag into the mixer. I think the freezing process release the moisture from the bananas and make the cake moist. My kids like the cake without nuts but Roland & I both like the nuts. Lately it takes me a long time to get enough frozen bananas to make the cake because my kids are really into making shakes in Roland's "Blending Station Advance" Vita-Mix machine. This Vita-Mix blender looks like the ones Jamba Juice use in their stores; complete with the plastic cover to reduce the noise level. It's big, bulky, noisy, but sure blends well.
Wet Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup sugar, I like to use 3/4 cup blue agave
1/2 cup oil, I often use a mixture of coconut oil and safflower oil)
4 eggs or two large eggs, I go for the four eggs for extra protien
4 ripe banana
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour (I use white wheat flour - if using red wheat flour, I would use half whole wheat and half white flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of salt
1 cup rolled oats (coarsely grind in the blender or use instant oatmeal)
Topping:
1 cup chocolate chips (I like to use some semi-sweet, some milk, and some double chocolate chips)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Mix all dry ingredients and set aside. Mix all of the wet ingredients together, place in a 9x3 pan, sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts on top, and bake for 40-45 minutes in 325F oven. I have use 2 regular bread pans or 4 mini bread pans to make banana bread or muffin tins to make muffins.
Since my kids don't like nuts in sweet bread, I skip the nuts but add some ground flex seed and some hemp seed to this recipe to make a healthier version.
No comments:
Post a Comment